Welcome to Student Success at St. David
Our Student Success Team at St. David is committed to providing students an environment and the necessary support to experience success.
* For the 2016-17 School Year, the Student Success School Learning Team would like feedback from all Grade 10 students on the use of supports offered at St. David C.S.S.
If you are currently in Grade 10, please click here or on the link below to access the survey:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Primary Student Success Supports Available:
1. Student Success Teachers
We have two full time Student Success Teachers who can serve as advocates for students and provide academic support in various subject areas throughout the school day, including during class time, at lunch, and even after school. Their responsibilities include:
- Advocate for students who are encountering difficulty
- Monitor attendance of students in grades 9-12
- Request regular updates on individual students from their classroom teachers
- Provide 1:1 support for students who are struggling with assignment completion
- Co-ordinate Credit Rescue and Credit Recovery efforts
- Contact parents regularly to ensure that students are fulfilling their responsibilities
2. The Student Success Centre
The Student Success Centre (located in Room 229) is an area of the school that is dedicated to helping students successfully earn their credits. Throughout the school day, the Student Success Centre is home to various programs and serves various purposes including:
- Credit Recovery
- Credit Rescue attempts
- Attendance detentions
- Discipline Referrals
- Lunchtime instructional support (various teachers from different subject areas are assigned supervision here throughout the week)
- One-to-one student instruction and support with organization, study skills, etc.
- Support of students on formative and summative course work
- A quiet and alternative learning environment
- Computers available for student use
- Assistive technology available to support various student learning needs
Additional programs to support the success of our students:
3. The Celtic Attendance Accountability Program
The Celtic Attendance Accountability Program is a program for students who have missed a class period without a valid reason. Students are responsible for having their parents clear up any absences with either a note or a phone call to our Attendance Secretary. If a student has an unexplained absence from a class period, the student is issued a 30-minute detention during lunch hour the following day in the Student Success Centre. While attending the detention, students are encouraged to use the time to complete any work or assignments they may have missed from the period from which they were absent. Detentions take place daily during lunch. Failure on the part of the student to attend an assigned detention will result in the detention being re-assigned. Two missed detentions, or an accumulation of unexplained periods could result in a discipline referral, or suspension, in alignment with our school’s progressive discipline policy.
4. Celtic Breakfast Club
Many studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Similar studies have shown that students tend to perform better in school and have increased focus, energy, and concentration when they’ve had something to eat in the morning. In an effort to support our students academically, St. David offers all students a nutritious start to their days with a FREE breakfast program known as the Celtic Breakfast Club. The Celtic Breakfast Club runs daily from 7:50am to 8:10am in the Hospitality Room (Room 110). Any student can drop in for a quick bite to each prior to going to class. The program offers a variety of healthy breakfast choices including cereal, fruit, yogurt, milk, juice, granola bars, cheese strings, toast & bagels with jam or cream cheese, breakfast sandwiches, etc.
5. University of Waterloo Tutors
Every Wednesday night throughout the school year (began October 5th, 2016), a group of University of Waterloo students offer a FREE tutoring service at St. David from 6:00-8:00pm in Room 109 to assist students with various subjects, particularly Math, Science, and English. All students are welcome to participate in this support opportunity. The sessions are on :
January: 18, Jan 25
Feb : 1 No program, 8, 15, 22 No program
March: 1, 8, 15 no program, 22, 29
April: 5, 12, 19, 26
May: 3 no program, 10, 17, 24, 31
June 7, 14
6. Lunchtime Math Support
Every lunch hour, Math teachers are available to assist students in Room 229.
7. After School Homework Club
We have an after school homework club that meets daily from Monday to Friday from 2:30-3:30pm in Room 229. Teachers and Peer Tutors are available during this time to provide assistance with academic work. Students are encouraged to use this avenue of support regularly to get the help they need, when they need it.
8. After School Science Support
Students who need support with Science are encouraged to visit Room 212 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:30-3:30pm.
9. Literacy Test Preparation – On Demand
Students can visit Room 229 any day at lunch or after school for instructional support on the various types of questions that appeared on the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test that took place on Thursday, March 30th, 2017. Please visit the stdavid.wcdsb.ca
For more information, please contact our Student Success Teachers,
Garry Boland (alpha caseload A-Ho) or Steve Bedic (alpha caseload Hu-Z)